Potatoes: The Nutritional Powerhouse!
Potatoes are a healthy, nutrition rich choice that contain a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. Some important nutrition facts about potatoes:
- A medium sized potato contains up to 45% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C! This important vitamin acts as an anti-oxidant, stabilizing or eliminating free radicals, aiding in the production of collagen and helping in the absorption of iron.
- A medium sized potato contains up to 18% of your daily recommended intake of Potassium, more than either a serving of bananas or broccoli! Potassium is instrumental in helping to reduce blood pressure and is an essential micro-nutrient.
- Potatoes served with the skin on (new potatoes, baked potatoes) can contain up to 4 grams of dietary fibre, one of the best options in the produce aisle! A medium sized potato without the skin still contains 2 grams of dietary fibre.
- Potatoes have high quantities of resistant starch, which is good for colon health due to pre-biotic properties!
- Potatoes have significant amounts of valuable micro-nutrients since as Iron, Niacin, Folate, Thiamin, and Zinc!
- Potatoes are naturally fat-free and sodium-free!
- Potatoes are also gluten-free, making them an important source of carbohydrates for those with Celiac Disease or gluten-sensitivities.
Calories and nutrition value of 1 medium potato: