A moist, rich chocolate cake made with the goodness of PEI Potatoes! Try our potato chocolate cake recipe today for a delicious twist on a classic treat!
Yield: 12-16 servings
Baking Time: 30 mins
|1 cup (250 ml)||PEI Yukon Gold Potatoes, mashed & hot|
|1 cup (250 ml)||Water, lukewarm|
|2/3 cup (150 ml)||Butter, softened|
|2 cups (500 ml)||Brown Sugar|
|1 tsp (5 ml)||Vanilla Extract|
|3/4 cup (188 ml)||Cocoa|
|2 cups (500 ml)||All Purpose Flour|
|2 ¼ tsp (11 ml)||Baking Powder|
|½ tsp (2 ml)||Baking Soda|
|¾ cup (188 ml)||Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips|
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 9x13 baking pan and dust with cocoa powder. Remove excess cocoa powder and set aside.
2. Whisk water into mashed potatoes until a smooth mixture is formed.
3. Beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla for 4-5 minutes with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Add 2 eggs and mix until blended, scrape down sides of bowl; add remaining eggs and continue mixing until well blended .
5. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir to combine.
6. At low speed, alternate adding the sifted dry ingredients with the potato mixture until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
7. Place batter into the prepared pan; smooth out top. Bake for 30 minutes, until cake springs back when pressed lightly and begins to move away from the sides of the pan .
8. Cool in the pan on a cooling rack. Sift confectioners’ sugar over the cake or an icing of your choice.
9. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Cake also freezes well.