Hasselback PEI Potatoes
A flavourful and attractive way to pair PEI Potatoes with your steak or other grilled meat!
Prep Time & Yield
|2 medium||PEI Russet Potatoes|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||Butter, melted|
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||Chicken or Vegetable Stock|
|1||Garlic Clove, sliced|
|2 sprigs||Fresh Thyme, removed from stems|
|to taste||Salt & Pepper|
|as desired||Cheddar or Parmesan Cheese|
|as desired||Bread Crumbs|
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Gently scrub potatoes to remove dirt and loose skin.
- Place two wooden spoons horizontally on a cutting board and put one potato in between the handles of the spoons. The wooden spoon will act as a guide as you slice the potatoes.
- Hold the spoons and potato and make slits ¼– inch apart across each potato. The spoons should only allow the knife to go two-thirds of the way through the potato – leaving the bottom intact. Rotate potato 180 degrees to slice the second half. Repeat for second potato.
- Place a slice of garlic in every few slits of the potato.
- Brush the potatoes with the melted butter, sprinkle with thyme and season with salt & pepper.
- Place potatoes into an oven-safe baking dish and add chicken or vegetable stock. Cook, basting often for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle potatoes with cheddar or parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and heat just until cheese is melted .
- Fresh thyme can be replaced with 1 tsp of dried thyme