Potato and Apple Pie
A traditional family favourite with a non-traditional spin!
Prep Time & Yield
30 minutes, serves 8.
|4||Large Potatoes (peeled)|
|4 cups||Simple Syrup (equal parts water and sugar)|
|1||Whole Cinnamon Stick|
|1 tbsp.||Brown Sugar|
|2 cups||Chopped Pecans|
- Add 2 cups water and 2 cups of sugar to deep pot. Bring to a simmer until sugar is dissolved (simple syrup). Remove ¼ cup of simple syrup and set aside. Keep remaining simple syrup on medium heat adding the cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Slice potatoes ¼ inch thick and add to the pot of simple syrup. Let potatoes steep in syrup until just tender. Remove the potatoes from the syrup and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl toss the ¼ cup of simple syrup with chopped pecans and set aside.
- Peel and slice apples. Sauté apples with butter, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and raisins.
- Layer the potato slices and sautéed apples alternately in pie crust. Top with simple syrup coated chopped pecans.
- Place in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes.