PEI Potato & Fennel Seafood Chowder
Award winning chowder at the 2014 PEI Shellfish Festival!
Prep Time & Yield
Serves 4 to 6
|PEI Baby Red Potatoes||1 lb|
|Onion (white, medium size)||1|
|Fennel (finely chopped)||1|
|Lobster (finely chopped)||3 oz|
|Soft Shell Clams||8 oz|
- Medium dice the onion and celery, then core the fennel bulb and slice 1/8 inch thick.
- Put butter in a heavy bottom pot and let melt, then add onion, celery and fennel.
- Sweat off until the onion is translucent and then add the flour and mix well.
- Add 2 liters of milk and 1 liter of cream and mix well with heat on med - med low.
- While you are sweating off the onions, celery and fennel, cook the 2 lbs of mussels in 250 ml of wine.
- In a separate pot, cook the soft shell clams in 250ml wine as well.
- Put the remaining 500 ml of wine in a pan and add the peppercorns, bay leaves and garlic cloves and let reduce to 250 ml.
- When the mussels are cooked off, add the stock to the base (make sure you are stirring the base often so that it does not burn to the bottom).
- Cook flour out for around 30 min and then add your seafood (lobster, haddock, halibut, and scallops).
- If you find the chowder too thick, just add more milk or cream.
- Cook 1lb of PEI Baby Red Potatoes in water and chop them to a med - large dice, then add them in at the end, and season to taste.