A hearty stew that sticks to your bones, with only the finest of ingredients!
|3 medium||PEI White Potatoes, washed and large diced|
|1/2 lb (225 g)||Bacon, diced|
|2 lbs (900 g)||Stewing Beef, cubed|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Vegetable Oil|
|1/2 large||Onion, chopped|
|2 stalks||Celery, sliced|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Garlic, minced|
|2 cups (500 ml)||Button Mushrooms, quartered|
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||Turnip, peeled and large dice|
|2 large||Carrots, peeled and large dice|
|4 cups (1000 ml)||Beef Stock or Water|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Dried Thyme|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||Worcestershire Sauce|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||Cornstarch|
|1/4 cup (50 ml)||Cold Water|
|to taste||Salt and Pepper|
1. In a medium pot, heat the bacon over medium heat; stir frequently.
2. Once the bacon has started to crisp, add the cubed beef to the hot pan and sear until brown on all sides. Remove the bacon and beef from the pot, leaving any remaining fat.
3. Add the oil, onions, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often until softened; approximately 7-9 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes, mushrooms, turnip, carrot, and meat back into the pot. Add in the dried herbs and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt & pepper.
5. Pour in the beef stock (or water). Add more stock or water if needed to cover the vegetables.
6. Bring the stew to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until the vegetables have softened and the meat is tender, approximately 45-60 minutes; stirring occasionally.
7. Combine cornstarch with cold water and mix until dissolved; stir into the stew. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
8. Season to taste with salt & pepper and serve immediately.