A traditional raisin soda bread to accompany a meal or for a unique snack!
Prep Time: 60 min
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||PEI Yukon Gold Potatoes, mashed and hot|
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||Raisins|
|1 cup (250 ml)||Buttermilk|
|2 cups (500 ml)||All Purpose Flour|
|1/4 tsp (1 ml)||Salt|
|1/2 tsp (2 ml)||Baking Soda|
|2 tsp (10 ml)||Baking Powder|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||Sugar|
|1/4 cup (50 ml)||Butter, softened|
|1/2 tsp (2 ml)||Caraway Seeds|
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Soak raisins in warm water for 5 minutes; set aside.
3. Whip mashed potatoes and buttermilk together until no lumps remain using an electric mixer.
4. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and sugar.
5. Cut in butter until the mixture has the consistency of cornmeal.
6. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds .
7. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add the potato-buttermilk mixture and stir gently with a fork .
8. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead gently 8-10 times .
9. Pat into a loaf shape and place in a lightly greased bread pan.
10. Score top of bread with a knife; bake for 28-32 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and serve warm or cold.
To make buttermilk: add 1 tbsp (15 ml) vinegar to 1 cup (250 ml) milk