A traditional Italian favourite, made with PEI Potatoes!
Prep time: 1.5 hours.
|2||Large PEI Russet Potatoes|
|1 cup||All Purpose Flour|
|4 tbsp||Olive Oil|
|1/4 cup||Parmesan Cheese|
|To taste||Salt and Pepper|
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Gently scrub potatoes to remove dirt and loose skin; prick each potato several times with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in oven for 60 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly then scoop the potato from the skins. Mash potatoes well; side aside.
- Combine egg, oil and parmesan. Fold into mashed potatoes and season with salt & pepper.
- Fold in flour and nutmeg until a dough forms.
- Roll dough into a log approximately ¾ -inch in diameter and cut into 1 ½ -inch lengths . Roll the gnocchi over the tines of a fork; place in a single layer on a sheet pan dusted with flour.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook gnocchi for 3-5 minutes or until the gnocchi float and puff up.
- Drain and serve immediately with your favorite tomato or butter sauce or a balsamic reduction.
• If desired, gnocchi can be pan-fried in butter until golden after boiling.
• Gnocchi dough freezes well if made ahead; individually freeze in single layers.