Looking for a quick, all-in-one meal option? Try these tangy samosas!
Prep Time: 30 mins
|3 cups (750 ml)||PEI Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes, cold|
|2.5 cups (625 ml)||All Purpose Flour|
|1/2 tsp (2 ml)||Salt|
|1 cup (250 ml)||Milk or Buttermilk|
|1 medium||Carrot, small diced|
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||Peas, fresh or frozen|
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||Corn, fresh or frozen|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Cumin|
|1/4 cup (50 ml)||Vegetable Oil|
|to taste||Salt and Pepper|
1. Place flour and salt into a bowl; make a well in the center and add the milk.
2. Mix together with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form. Remove dough to a lightly floured counter and knead until a ball is formed. If necessary add extra flour; let rest.
3. Combine mashed potatoes, pea, corn, shallots and cumin and season with salt & pepper.
4. Roll out samosa dough into a large square or rectangle. Cut into 4-inch by 4-inch squares.
5. Place 2 tbsp of the potato mixture into the centre of each square. Fold dough in half over potatoes pressing down to seal edges into a triangular shape .
6. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat; add oil.
7. Pan fry the samosas in batches, turning half way through cooking until golden on both sides , approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Serve immediately .
• For a healthier option, samosas can be oven baked at 375ºF until golden and heated through.
• Serve with an Indian inspired yogurt dip or your favourite dipping sauce.