Try our shepherds pie with ground beef and garlic mashed PEI potatoes recipe for a mouth-watering twist on a traditional favourite.
Preparation time: 35 minutes. Cooking time: 30 minutes.
|3 medium||PEI Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and quartered|
|4||Garlic cloves, peeled|
|1 cup (250 ml)||Reserved Cooking Liquid from Potatoes|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Vegetable Oil|
|1 lb (454 g)||Ground Beef or Pork|
|3/4 cup (188 ml)||Peas, fresh or frozen|
|3/4 cup (188 ml)||Corn, fresh or frozen|
|1/2 large||Red Pepper, chopped|
|1/2 tbsp (8 ml)||Worcestershire Sauce|
|1/2 tsp (2 ml)||Hot-Red Pepper Sauce|
|2 tsp (10 ml)||Dried Oregano|
|28 oz (796 ml)||Canned Diced Tomatoes, drained|
|1 tsp (5 ml)||Paprika|
|to taste||Salt and Pepper|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease an 8”x8” baking dish and set aside.
2. Place the potatoes and garlic in a pot of lightly salted, cold water.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until tender. Drain the cooked potatoes, reserving one cup of the liquid.
4. Mash the potatoes and garlic along with the reserved liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside .
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, then ground beef; cook until beef is browned. Add onions and peppers; cook until tender.
6. Drain off the fat, return skillet to heat and add in the remaining vegetables, sauces and spices. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
7. Transfer mixture to baking dish and press it down. Top with the garlic mashed potatoes and lightly sprinkle paprika over top. Place the baking dish in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.