Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but when you add in PEI Potatoes, it’ll indeed be the most delicious too!
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 35 minutes | Makes approx. 6-8 servings
|3 lbs||Creamer Red PEI Potatoes (cooked & sliced)|
|1 cup||Diced Red Pepper|
|1 cup||Diced Green Pepper|
|1 Tbsp||Olive Oil|
|2||Chorizo Sausages Ground (cooked)|
|2 cups||Shredded Aged Cheddar|
|1 Tbsp||Dried Thyme|
|1 Tbsp||Dried Rosemary|
|To taste||Salt & Pepper|
- Lightly coat a 12-inch casserole baking dish with butter or spray. Preheat oven to 350ºF/ 177º C.
- Place potatoes in a microwave safe dish and heat for 5-7 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain, set aside to cool. Once cooled, slice into rounds and toss with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, thyme and rosemary. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of the shredded cheese and place in fridge until needed.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the sausage ground to cook for 3-5 minutes. Once cooked, stir in red and green peppers and cook until tender. Set aside.
- Line the bottom of casserole dish with red potato rounds. Next, add a layer of combined sausage and peppers mixture, then cover with half of the egg mixture. Add another layer of red potato rounds, then sausage and peppers mixture, and cover with remaining egg mixture. Top the final layer with remaining potato slices, sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese, and add a final dash of thyme.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until egg mixture is set.
- Slice into squares and serve.
* As an alternate option, let cool and refrigerate for the next morning.
Our PEI Potato Breakfast Bake can be portioned into servings and sealed in freezer bags for future busy mornings. Just remove from freezer, let warm up to room temperature and microwave for 2 minutes for a quick hearty breakfast. Plus, this recipe easily converts to a vegetarian option by omitting the sausage.