Use PEI potatoes in our potato mushroom gratin recipe for a delicious and milk-free take on scalloped potatoes!
A delicious version of scalloped potatoes made with mushrooms, and chicken stock instead of milk. A wonderful potato dish for entertaining at home or potluck.
- 2 cups sliced muchrooms - 500 ml
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion - 25 ml
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or green peppers (optional) - 50 ml
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chicken stock - 500 ml
- 2 tbsp flour - 25 ml
- 1/2 tsp salt - 2 ml
- pepper to taste
- 6 cups thinly sliced PEI Potatoes - 1.5 L
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs - 50 ml
- 1/4 cup butter, divided - 50 ml
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided - 500 ml
In large skillet, melt 2 tbsp (25 ml) butter; saute mushrooms, onion and peppers unti tender and no moisture remains. Grease 8 cup (2L) baking dish wth remaining butter. Whisk eggs, chicken stock, flour, salt and pepper. Spread half the potatoes and 1/2 cup (125ml) of cheese in prepared dish. Spread mushroom mixture over potatoes. Combine remaining 1 cup (250ml) cheese and bread crumble; sprinkle over top. Bake in 300°F (150°C) oven for 2 hours, or until tender.