Potatoes: The Nutritional Powerhouse!
Potatoes are a healthy, nutrition rich choice that contain a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. Per dollar, potatoes are an affordable option for meeting key dietary guidelines for good health!
Some important nutrition facts about potatoes:
- A medium sized potato contains up to 45% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C. This important vitamin is necessary for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues. It's involved in many body functions, including forming collagen and absorbing iron.
- A medium sized potato contains up to 18% of your daily recommended intake of Potassium, more than a serving of either bananas or broccoli. Potassium is instrumental in helping to reduce blood pressure and is an essential micro-nutrient.
- Potatoes served with the skin on (new potatoes, baked potatoes) can contain up to 4 grams of dietary fibre per serving, making them one of the best fibre options in the produce aisle. A medium sized potato without the skin still contains 2 grams of dietary fibre.
- Potatoes have high quantities of resistant starch, which is good for colon health due to pre-biotic properties.
- Potatoes have significant amounts of valuable micro-nutrients since as Iron, Niacin, Folate, Thiamin, and Zinc.
- Potatoes are naturally fat-free and sodium-free.
- Potatoes are gluten-free, making them an important source of carbohydrates for those with Celiac Disease or gluten-sensitivities.
Calories and nutrition value of 1 medium potato: