These potato roses are prepared with a Sichuan flavour profile as I think they pair really well with PEI golden potatoes. Don’t let the chili flakes intimidate you, as the PEI Potato mellows any fire with their inherent sweetness.
25 minutes, makes approximately 1 full regular muffin tray.
10 10 PEI Potatoes (Yukon Gold is featured here), peeled if desired 1/2 Cup Sunflower oil, plus more for greasing muffin tins 1 Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, ground (or substitute ground corriander or cumin) 6 Tbsp. Sesame seeds 1 Tbsp. Chili flakes (Korean variety featured here, but any will be suitable) 2 tsp. Garlic powder 1 Tbsp. Granulated onion. 1/2-3/4 Tbsp. Kosher salt 1 Tbsp. Minced ginger
Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
- Line muffin tin with parchment paper and generously grease the entire tin with canola oil.
Use a mandolin (can also use a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife) to slice potatoes thin enough to bend. Place in a large bowl and toss with the canola oil then add spices.
- Place a piece of potato on the board and overlap another piece over 50 % of the potato repeat using 15-20 pieces of potato forming a line. Roll the line of potatoes up starting at one end and place in the muffin cups.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes then cover with foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
CHEF'S TIP: You can use different spice combinations if you prefer. Instead of the Sichuan Peppercorns, sesame seeds & chili flakes add the following to the garlic powder, granulated onion and kosher salt:
- Rosemary & Lemon Zest
- Summer Savory & Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning & Paprika
- Curry Powder & Black Sesame Seeds
For more info go to http://www.chefilona.ca/#/Blog