Sichuan Style PEI Potato Roses
These potato roses are prepared with a Sichuan flavour profile as I think they pair really well with PEI golden potatoes. Don’t let the chili flakes intimidate you, as the PEI Potato mellows any fire with their inherent sweetness.
Prep Time & Yield
25 minutes, makes approximately 1 full regular muffin tray.
10 10 PEI Potatoes (Yukon Gold is featured here), peeled if desired 1/2 Cup Sunflower oil, plus more for greasing muffin tins 1 Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, ground (or substitute ground corriander or cumin) 6 Tbsp. Sesame seeds 1 Tbsp. Chili flakes (Korean variety featured here, but any will be suitable) 2 tsp. Garlic powder 1 Tbsp. Granulated onion. 1/2-3/4 Tbsp. Kosher salt 1 Tbsp. Minced ginger
Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
- Line muffin tin with parchment paper and generously grease the entire tin with canola oil.
Use a mandolin (can also use a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife) to slice potatoes thin enough to bend. Place in a large bowl and toss with the canola oil then add spices.
- Place a piece of potato on the board and overlap another piece over 50 % of the potato repeat using 15-20 pieces of potato forming a line. Roll the line of potatoes up starting at one end and place in the muffin cups.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes then cover with foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
CHEF'S TIP: You can use different spice combinations if you prefer. Instead of the Sichuan Peppercorns, sesame seeds & chili flakes add the following to the garlic powder, granulated onion and kosher salt:
- Rosemary & Lemon Zest
- Summer Savory & Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning & Paprika
- Curry Powder & Black Sesame Seeds
For more info go to http://www.chefilona.ca/#/Blog